Holidaymakers wishing to make the most of the glorious weather and beat the ever increasing fuel costs, should consider scooter rental in Alicante as a means of getting around the city and exploring further afield during their stay. The majority of visitors who don't have access to a private vehicle will hire a car, as many are visiting with family or friends and a scooter is just not a viable option. But for single travellers and couples, scooter rental in Alicante is a great way to get about, save on fuel, beat the traffic jams and enjoy the great weather.
Unfortunately, or fortunately if you look at it from a safety point of view, gone are the days when scooter rental companies in popular Spanish holiday resorts and cities really didn't bother much with motorcycle licences, so long as the person renting the scooter left their passport and a substantial deposit. Things however have changed and traffic laws in Spain are a lot more strict, so hire companies will just not take the chance of losing their trading licence and facing the risk of a very hefty fine.
General Terms & Conditions
For those thinking of scooter rental in Alicante, terms and conditions can change from one company to the next, and you may even still find the odd ‘back street' independent dealer who will turn a blind eye to you not having the proper licence, but generally the terms and conditions are pretty much the same whichever company you choose to use.
- A valid car or motorcycle licence for 50cc scooters
- A valid motorcycle licence for scooters 125cc and above
- Minimum age of 18 years to hire a 50cc scooter
- Minimum age of 21 years to hire a 125cc scooter
- Deposit of usually minimum 200€ depending on the scooter
- Most companies include third party insurance in their price
- Most will include a helmet and lock in the price
- Mileage limitations may or may not be imposed
- 24 hour roadside assistance may or may not be offered
- A full tank of fuel may be required on return of the scooter
The above pointers are just an indication of the terms and conditions you can expect when looking at scooter rental in Alicante. There are several scooter hire companies in the city, some also offering motorcycles ranging from budget 125cc to the latest Harley Davidson or Ducati but, as thrilling as they are they don't come cheap.
Whatever you may choose, my experience with Spanish drivers has taught me to be extremely cautious when riding a scooter in Alicante and never presume you have been seen and they won't pull straight out in front of you, but then I suppose that can be said for car and truck drivers the world over, so just take care and ‘always' wear a helmet.